Shore Acres’ life as a farm ended shortly after World War II. To serve the travelers as well as the summer and year-round residents, Harvey and Dolly Dodds - the original owners - opened the restaurant and the south end rooms in 1951.
After the Dodds' retirement Allen Stratton purchased the property and operated the inn and restaurant for almost twenty years. To devote more time to his historical writings, Allen sold Shore Acres to his next-door neighbors; Shirley and Jack White and Billie and Doug Tudhope in 1981. (His books about the Grand Isle County are still available in our local island stores and at our front desk.) In 1989 Susan and Mike Tranby became partners with the Whites and Tudhopes. As Shore Acres continues through the twenty-first century we strive to operate in a manner which would please our predecessors.